Saturday, July 5, 2008

Turn left at the clock face

Chennai, through the last 50 years or so, has been quite non-experimental in its architechture. There was so much sameness about the buildings, residential or commercial. All buildings were blocks. I would love to build up evidence of inspirational building design from Chennai, but I am hardpressed to think of examples.

Which is a big reason why I like this building. Anyone who is remotely familiar with designs of Tamil Nadu temples will immediately recognize the sweep of the gopuram as being the design kernel for this building. Even you are unfamiliar with the temples and their architecture, the building's name - Temple Tower - gives you a major clue.

Taking off from the Chennai airport, the flight to Bangalore heads out in north-easterly fashion. Looking out from the cabin, as you try to spot familiar landmarks, Temple Tower soon comes into view. And I know that the moment you are able to spot the clock face on top of the building, it is time to make a left turn: a-ha, I make a good pilot!

(Oops! I should be saying 'turn to port', shouldn't I?)

5 comments:

magiceye said...

looks like a cross between a gopuram and a tiered stadium..

LVISS said...

Yes chennai takes a long time to catch up with the latest .Thts why foreigners who come here find chennai much difrent from other metros. One of the foreign cricketers who plyed for chennai super kings felt that the city was dull and unexciting.He was right in one way. But frankly I would personally like to see it remain this way.

Shantaram said...

>> Magiceye>> Yes... also reminds me of terraced paddy fields :)

>> Ravindran>> Hmmm... different, yes. Dull - not at all! It's just that we don't blow some of our trumpets ;)!

Hilda said...

Oh my, I looove it! We have a similar building here—nowhere near as high, but each level is planted with lots of greens. I have yet to take a photo of it. It's one of my two favorite buildings in Metro Manila.

Shantaram said...

>> Hilda>> That's nice - will look forward to seeing it!