Sunday, July 6, 2008

Now where have I seen that before...

Oh yes, I know this is not an original idea. The concept has been around for a while now. I can't remember when this one first came up, but I am sure that the idea for this hoarding came from an ad for some adhesive brand where a car was stuck to a billboard. I used to remember both - the car as well as the adhesive - brands and now I can't recall either! Google has also failed me this time. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

It's okay if you don't because you can then substitute this one. Hindustan Motors manufactures some models of Mitsubishi cars for the Indian market; they also manufacture some earthmoving equipment for Caterpillar. In front of their sales office, they have stuck one of each - a Mitsubishi Cedia and a Caterpillar backhoe loader - on low hoardings. As you drive in to the city from the airport, the car is easily noticed; the Cat is slightly hidden from view and you have to know where to look if you want to see it.

But that still doesn't take away the question... where did I see this before?


PS: Ottayan, Dan, Ravindran, Magiceye, Ram - I've figured out what that 'football' was all about - and I've updated that post!

9 comments:

Dan said...

Wow, this must be distracting when you are driving by! I'd be looking at this odd bill-board and looking for that cat.

Thanks for the update on the football. Thought it was some kind of radome. How did you find out it was a met radar?

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the billboard outside the Anand Theatre advertising 'Sigappu Rojakkal'.

magiceye said...

Had posted a similar picture but of Maruti Swift on my flckr page on 09jun06. you can see it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/magiceye/163579121/in/dateposted/

Kris McCracken said...

It’s a wonder it hasn’t been vandalised by now. It would here in Tasmania!

LVISS said...

Kris
Vandalisation is a worlwide phenom.The crowds shd get the mood to go about it.

LVISS said...

Kris
Vandalisation is a worlwide phenom.The crowds shd get the mood to go about it.

Shantaram said...

>> Dan>> Got used to it by now - unless they change the colour!! And I checked with a cousin who works for the Chennai Port Trust!

>> Ottayan>> I'm sure it has to do with the colour!

>> Magiceye>> That's a nice pic; but aaargh, which were the original brands?!!!

>> Kris>> The fencing and the security guards at the HM office helps in the car remaining intact!

>> Ravindran>> Let's hope that they don't get into any such mood, anywhere!

magiceye said...

The adhesive was Araldite and the car was Ford Cortina!

Shantaram said...

>> Magiceye>> Yes! For some reason I kept thinking of 'Duralite', instead of 'Araldite' - and you can imagine my frustration!!