Saturday, June 7, 2008

Clock - ahem! - tower

No, I agree with you. This is no clock tower, but just a clock. But I couldn't resist putting this one up. I still haven't had a good chance to take pictures of the Marina Beach, though I'd expressed that intent in an earlier post; so, this is a partial make-up, taken as I waited for the signal to turn green. And I'm on the trail of stand-alone clock towers, remember?

But then, this clock is different in another way - I know the occasion it was meant to commemorate. Even though Simpson & Co. has not splashed it about, putting up this clock was one of the things that Simpsons did to celebrate their sesquicentennial - their 150th anniversary. The reason for reticence probably is that while it is generally accepted that Simpson & Co., was established some time in the very early 1840s, the exact date remains a mystery. Even the Amalgamations Group's website says about Simpson & Co., ".....its origins dating back to 1840" - delightfully vague!



4 comments:

Anush said...

and now, i know a new word [:)]

Shantaram said...

>> CB>> I had to use it somewhere, didn't I? ;)

LVISS said...

U seem to revel in old madras history. Some clock towers have given way to some buildings I presume. I used to see quite a lot of them long ago thst I forgot their locations now.

Shantaram said...

>> Ravindran>> You're right, I do like history. Let me know if you remember any of the clock towers!